Nortel has released software 5.1 for the Ethernet Routing Switch 8600. This new software release promises the following new software features;
• Multicast virtualization for VRF-Lite (IGMP, PIM-SM, and PIM-SSM)
• Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP)
• IGMPv3 backward compatibility
• Multicast Static IP Route (mroute)
• Static RP enhancement for PIM-SM
• Standards-based MIBs for multicast
• Multicast routing process statistics
• IPv6 support for FTP, TFTP, and rlogin
• Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)
• Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) Minimum Link
• DDI software support
• Time zone offset enhancement
• ping and traceroute source IP enhancement
• SMLT/RSMLT operational improvements
• IPFIX enhancement
• Nortel Automatic QoS
• New operation for corrupt configuration loading
• Core dumps
I’m really happy to finally see TACACS+ support in the 8600. Now if we could only get TACACS+ support in all the other switches as well.
You can find the release notes at Nortel’s website. The release notes are quite lengthy but are worth the time to read.
Note: I’ve been told that the LANE lockup issues in all the GBR/GBRS/GTRS modules were resolved in software release 188.8.131.52. Unfortunately I don’t have any GBRS/GRTS modules so I can’t personally confirm.
Updated: Saturday May 23, 2009
You’ll need to upgrade to Nortel’s Java Device Manger v6.1.8 or later to manage an Ethernet Routing Switch 8600 running software v5.1.0