Nortel has released software 5.1 for the Ethernet Routing Switch 8600. This new software release promises the following new software features;
• Multicast virtualization for VRF-Lite (IGMP, PIM-SM, and PIM-SSM)
• Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP)
• IGMPv3 backward compatibility
• Multicast Static IP Route (mroute)
• Static RP enhancement for PIM-SM
• Standards-based MIBs for multicast
• Multicast routing process statistics
• IPv6 support for FTP, TFTP, and rlogin
• Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)
• Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) Minimum Link
• DDI software support
• Time zone offset enhancement
• ping and traceroute source IP enhancement
• SMLT/RSMLT operational improvements
• IPFIX enhancement
• Nortel Automatic QoS
• New operation for corrupt configuration loading
• Core dumps
I’m really happy to finally see TACACS+ support in the 8600. Now if we could only get TACACS+ support in all the other switches as well.
You can find the release notes at Nortel’s website. The release notes are quite lengthy but are worth the time to read.
Note: I’ve been told that the LANE lockup issues in all the GBR/GBRS/GTRS modules were resolved in software release 126.96.36.199. Unfortunately I don’t have any GBRS/GRTS modules so I can’t personally confirm.
Updated: Saturday May 23, 2009
You’ll need to upgrade to Nortel’s Java Device Manger v6.1.8 or later to manage an Ethernet Routing Switch 8600 running software v5.1.0
can we upgrade ers 8600 to Release 188.8.131.52 from release 184.108.40.206
Michael McNamara says
You can but there are some significant hardware restrictions when running 5.x software. I believe you can perform the upgrade but you need to confirm that all your hardware is supported.
You’ll find some discussion on the top in the comments of this post and on the discussion forums.
Thanks for confirmation for upgrade path.
I confirmed from release notes that
All Ethernet Routing Switch 8600 modules are supported in the 8006, 8010, and 8010co Chassis.
The following modules are not supported in the 8003 chassis:
• All R/RS modules
i have 8010 chassis , so i think we can go ahead with release 5.x.
Michael McNamara says
The statement “all Ethernet Routing Switch 8600 modules are supported” is a little misleading.
The non-E, E and M modules are not officially supported in v5.x software although they will actually load. In 7.x software the modules will not load at all.
Thanks for valuable information
I dont have E and M modules installed in chassis.
only 8692SF,8648GTR,8683XLR am currently using, .
I think they would compatible with release 5.x
Please suggest .