Nortel VPN Client Release 10.04.016 for Windows 7

Nortel has released version 10.04.016 of their VPN client that now supports both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. This single client supports the following operating systems (in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions);

• Windows 7: Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate
  • Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate
  • XP: Home, Professional, and Tablet

There are quite a few resolved bugs in this release and quite a few known issues. I would advise everyone to read the release notes thoroughly before spending too much time troubleshooting.

You can find the actual NVC (Nortel VPN Client) on the Nortel/Avaya website and the release notes here.

Cheers!

Updated September 2, 2010
It would seem that this is a very popular post given the number of people searching for information regarding the Nortel VPN Client (NVC) and Microsoft Windows 7. I’ve uploaded the complete documentation archive containing the installation instructions and troubleshooting instructions. In addition if you are looking for the new NVC you can download it directly from Nortel here. While the client software isn’t “licensed” it is restricted by US export laws because of it’s 128-bit (and greater) encryption capabilities.
Updated Friday December 17, 2010

I’ve added links to the 32-bit and 64-bit clients in the comments below.

Updated Sunday April 10, 2011

I can no longer host the Avaya VPN client software do to the enormous bandwidth utilization on my host. In addition there are just too many people abusing my gesture. I had a single IP address from China download the client software so many times that it consumed 10GB of bandwidth.

Updated Saturday May 7, 2011

Avaya has released v10.04.109 of their VPN client software which is available in this post.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• smith March 12, 2010, 8:02 am

Hi,
    This is great to have a new version of Nortel VPN client for windows 7. As the communications and networks are increasing in this world, one should understand that with that increase there are more and more security issues arising. Nortel which is one of the good companies produces network products for a good communications, hope that this release is more better than its previous good releases. For more information on hacking through networks go through the following site:http://www.eccouncil.org/certification/ec-council_network_security_administrator.aspx

• Ariel September 1, 2010, 10:41 am

Is the Nortel softphone compatible with ATT U-Verse? My softphone cuts off everytime I receive an incoming call.

• Michael McNamara September 1, 2010, 5:17 pm

Hi Ariel,

Without any additional information there is really no relation between AT&T U-Verse (broadband Internet solution) and the Nortel/Avaya 2050 softphone.

Are you using the Nortel/Avaya 2050 softphone across a Nortel VPN client? I’m going to guess the answer to that question is yes, otherwise your post would really be off-topic.

Is your Nortel VPN getting disconnected when you receive a call? I’ve used the Nortel/Avaya 2050 softphone over a Nortel VPN client connection and never really had many issues. On a few occasions I would get a dropped word or two here or there but nothing crazy.

A problem such as this usually turns out to be some firewall/filtering being done either on the Nortel VPN router or somewhere else. You’ll probably need to speak with your IT staff and see if they can identify the issue.

Good Luck!

• Gregory Knott October 20, 2010, 3:43 am

By the way the download link you’ve specified here takes me to a page where the latest version for download is 3.4 and it’s not a Windows install at all…

Looking for v10 for 32bit Win7.

• Michael McNamara October 20, 2010, 5:43 am

Hi Gregory,

I believe the trick there is that you need to have an account and be logged into that account (on the Nortel website) in order to have access to the software. I don’t believe they restrict access, I believe you just need to register for an account and then be logged into it.

Cheers!

• Igor Costa December 13, 2010, 1:29 am

Hey guys really upset with Nortel

I can’t simple download the VPN client for Windows 7.

The Link with Michael posted in the only relevance on web.

Can you help me Michael I do really need this client.

Even with Nortel account and logged in portal, I can’t get
    to download does redirect me to other place.

Best Regards
    Igor

• Michael McNamara December 13, 2010, 1:55 am

I agree with you Igor. I’m not sure why they make it so difficult to find the VPN client… perhaps because they expect that users should get the client from whoever is administering the Nortel VPN Router. In any case Avaya has (just recently) removed most of the content from the old Nortel support website so I don’t believe the links I included in the original post above will work.

I’ll host these files so long as Avaya doesn’t request I stop or I don’t end up exceeding my server bandwidth (40Gbps/month).

Cheers!

Edit: I’ve removed the files.. the bandwidth utilization and abuse are too much to deal with right now.

• Monica December 26, 2010, 11:54 am

Dear Michael

Thank you so much for providing this download link. I was looking for a working version of the Nortel VPN Client for Windows 7 32bit for almost 3 hours today and thanks god finally found it on your website. Big thanks from Zurich Switzerland.

Best Regards
        Monica
        iPhone Repair

• John Z. December 17, 2010, 5:50 pm

Michael, you are a lifesaver for those links. My company was providing outdated versions of the client so I could not install it on my W7 machine at home. Your installers worked great and you’ve saved my back the trouble of lugging my laptop home every day.

• Michael McNamara December 17, 2010, 11:14 pm

I’m happy to help John… thanks for taking the time to comment!

• Lena January 2, 2011, 4:55 pm

Hi, I downloaded the Nortel VPN client 10.04.16 for my new Windows 7 64-bit computer. I keep getting “User did not acknowledge the banner.” error when connecting. However, my old computer of Windows XP running Nortel VPN client version v05_10.030 would work fine. Does any body know why? Thanks in advance for any help!

• Michael McNamara January 5, 2011, 10:02 pm

Hi Lena,

That error message generally indicates that there is something preventing full communications between the NVC and the NVR. On your new Windows 7 computer is the Windows firewall turned on? Have you configured an exception for the NVC software to communicate with the NVR? The error is very similar to the “Checking for banner text” that I posted about in the past.

With the limited information you’ve posted I would guess that it’s something on the new Windows 7 machine and not your home network, router or ISP assuming you use all the same with your older Windows XP machine.

Do you have any security software installed like Norton Internet Security or Kaspersky Internet Security or McAfee, etc?

Good Luck!

• Lena January 6, 2011, 3:49 pm

Michael,

Thank you so much for the reply! I will follow your leads and do some more research. I have tried to turn off the firewall. What is NVR and can you give me a little more info on how to configure an exception?

I also asked around at work, and people are having the same problem. Maybe it is the VPN server we are trying to connect to (not compatible with Windows 7? Windows XP works). One workaround people do is to install Virtual PC XP on Windows 7 and run VNC through that. I wish there is a better way…

Anyways, thank you so much for your help and this great site!

• Michael McNamara January 6, 2011, 6:59 pm

Hi Lena,

Here are the acronyms;
          NVC – Nortel VPN Client (the client software on PC)
          NVR – Nortel VPN Router (the VPN router/switch you are trying to establish a secure connection with)

If you have a software firewall, either the built-in Windows firewall, or a third party product such as Norton Internet Security or Kaspersky Internet Security, etc you might need to add a rule (or exception) so that firewall allows the Nortel VPN Client (NVC) software to communicate with the Nortel VPN Router (NVR). Sometimes these firewalls or Internet security programs will block access preventing the client from working properly. Some of the previously mentioned products will also prompt you to grant or deny access at the time you try and make the VPN connection.

With respect to Virtual PC (or event VirtualBox) that’s a solution. I know quite a few Apple/MacOS users doing the same thing by running a virtualized copy of Windows XP within their MacBook.

I will check to see what version the NVR needs to be running to support the 10.04.16 client although you’ll definitely need to take that issue up with your IT department. It’s a shame you need to go to such lengths to find a solution yourself and that your own IT folks can’t at least provide some basic help. Do you know if they’ve even tested the 10.04.16 client with the version of Nortel VPN Router that they are running?

I would suggest the following;
          – turn off the Windows firewall
          – uninstall any Internet security software
          – cable up to your home network or router (don’t use wireless for this test)

Additionally if you want you can enable debug logging (refer to this document how to enable logging) and if you want to post that log on the discussion forums I’d be happy to look at it for you.

Good Luck!

• Umar January 4, 2011, 1:43 am

Michael, I can’t thank you enough for the download link : )

• Michael McNamara January 5, 2011, 10:03 pm

You’re very welcome Umar and thanks for the comment!

• nagesh January 5, 2011, 2:38 am

Thanks a lot the VPN client is woking fine

• Michael McNamara January 5, 2011, 10:03 pm

You’re very welcome nagesh and thanks for the comment!

• hp January 6, 2011, 2:43 pm

Thank you so much for the links! The vista 32 bit client was doing the trick for us right up until we tried to connect using a tethered blackberry or an aircard. You saved us a giant headache.

• Igor Costa January 11, 2011, 12:29 pm

Hey Michael

Didn’t had chance to say thank you since dec. I do really appreciate and thanks for publishing it on-line the links.

Best Regards

• Michael McNamara January 11, 2011, 9:41 pm

Thanks for stopping back Igor, I really appreciate you taking the time to follow-up.

Cheers!

• Yann January 17, 2011, 6:16 am

Hello Michael,

I need your help and expertise about an issue with the 64 bit version of the client.

We are deploying the software in our company on Windows 7 x64 computers were users have power user rights.
    The software is installed prior any user have logged on, so only the Administrator account is available.

I created two global connection profiles that I can edit if I am logged as administrator.
    BUT, when logged using any power user account, the EDIT button is greyed out which is a major problem as the users must be able to modify the connection.

Am I missing something on the setup ?

Thank you in advance.

Yann

• Michael McNamara January 17, 2011, 9:32 pm

Hi Yann,

The users will need to run the NVC in administrator mode (not sure if that is possible when they are only Power Users). In any event your users should be able to create private profiles, profiles that are only visible to them and then modify those profiles. You should be able to find the profiles here;

• C:\Documents And Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Nortel\Nortel VPN Client (for Windows XP)
      • C:\ProgramData\Nortel\Nortel VPN Client (for Windows Vista and Windows 7)

If you haven’t already I would highly suggest you review the documentation, it can be found here.

On page 37 of the Nortel VPN Client—Installation and Upgrades manual I read the following;

When a user logs on to NVC for the first time, the default user configuration file copies over as the user’s private user configuration file, enabling the user to update their private file.

You might also want to try temporarily elevating the user permissions to Administrator and see what if anything that helps.

Good Luck!

• PRASAD January 17, 2011, 12:45 pm

Hi Michael,

Installed Nortel VPN client 10.04.16 for my new Windows 7 64-bit computer.
    After 20 mts. the system crashes with a blue screen.

• Michael McNamara January 17, 2011, 9:37 pm

Hi Prasad,

I’ve not experienced any such problem on the few Windows 7 64bit computers that I’ve tested with. Are there any errors in the Event log of the personal computer? What’s the blue screen tell you it’s crashing on? I would suggest you contact the administrator of your VPN Router and see if they can open a case with Avaya/Nortel for you.

Good Luck!

• faisal January 18, 2011, 7:18 am

Dear Michael,

Just wanted to say thank you for the download links. I have been searching for these links for more than 3 days.

Installed it and worked fine under windows 32bit connected to Domain.

Many Thanks again for the information and excellent site.

• KP January 21, 2011, 3:59 am

Dear Michael,

I have Win7 x64, and I am using NortelVPN 10.04.016.
    I have got more times error messages, about routing table update, after clicking the message the connection is lost.
    Do you have an idea how to avoid this message and shutdown of the vpn?

thanks a lot,
    K.

• Michael McNamara January 21, 2011, 8:34 am

Hi KP,

The VPN client will monitor the routing table of your Windows 7 x64 desktop/laptop. If the routing table changes after the IPSec tunnel is established the client will drop the connection. This is a security feature designed to prevent people from turning their desktop/laptop into a software router providing unauthorized access into a network via the VPN client. Do you know why your routing table is changing? You can check it with the following command, “netstat -rn”. After you make a connection and the client drops you check it again and compare the output.

Good Luck!

• PK January 28, 2011, 7:59 am

HI Michael,
        thanks for response,
        really I do not see changing in routing table, what’s ineresting, some times it will work for long time (hours) sometime I am dropped after couple of minutes.
        IS there any patch to avoid this?
        What can update my routing table, I am sure I am not doing this :)

thanks,
        Karoly

• DS February 3, 2011, 9:27 pm

I don’t know if this will help, but it solved my issue.
          Avaya support has an interesting article, I put a link to it at the bottom of the post. It contained a paragraph stating Wireless Network Adapters in Windows have the Automatic Metric option enabled by default. This causes the OS to change the metrics based on various parameters and that is detected as a routing table change.

I turned the Automatic Metric option off and set it to 20 based on an article by Microsoft, second link below. So far it’s working fine.

• Michael McNamara February 6, 2011, 11:12 am

Yes, Avaya has identified issue wi00568576 with the following description;

Wireless users are disconnected intermittently
            IPSec users which are behind a wireless cable modem are disconnected intermittently. Users are able to authenticate successfully, but after some time they get disconnected and the client pops up the message “VPN tunnel is disconnected due to routing table change”. This is because the operating system changes the metric of wireless interface according to various parameters when Automatic Metric option is enabled. This is the default configuration for network interfaces in Windows. This causes the client to consider that the routing tabled has been hacked and disconnects the tunnel.

I hope to post the 10.04_108 client software in the next few days, until then the workaround suggested by DS works fine.

Cheers!

• Wilco Br January 27, 2011, 5:18 pm

Thx for posting this, you are a life saver, why don’t the people of Nortel put this on their website!? I searched their entire website for this and only found an end of life statement of this software…

• Arshad February 2, 2011, 11:33 am

Does this NVC work with MAC? if not any workaround other then running windows emulator?
    anyone know about IPSec vpn client for mac?
    and ya, thanks for the download link, otherwise I will be screaming just to get the NVC.

Thanks,

Arshad

• Michael McNamara February 6, 2011, 11:19 am

Hi Arshad,

There was (a long time ago) a Mac version of the Nortel VPN client software… it was really just an OEM of some third party client that was “certified” to work with the Nortel VPN Router.

You could check out Apani, it looks like they have a native Mac OS X client designed to work with the Avaya VPN Router (formerly Nortel VPN Router – formerly Contivity – formerly NewOak).

Cheers!

• Pat February 4, 2011, 8:57 am

HI
    Thank you for the links. I was searching nortel site and they were no help at all. (hours of time wasted)

When I was using windows xp i used an older version of nortel which was still called contivity and authenticates using group security and an installed software token on my PC. using that old version i have the option to browse for the winsnk so when i launch nortel it asks for my PIN and able to connect.
    — I cannot find that option using this new version. and just get an error secureID not installed when I try to connect.
    any ideas?

• Michael McNamara February 6, 2011, 11:32 am

Hi Pat,

With respect to the SecurID soft token you need the RSA software (agent) installed to enable that functionality within the Avaya VPN Client. You also need a soft token from your provider (they usually expire in 1 to 3 years).

Cheers!

• Ann February 5, 2011, 2:06 am

• Michael McNamara February 6, 2011, 8:42 pm

There’s a new VPN client available from Avaya;

There’s yet another new VPN client available;

There’s yet another new VPN client available;

I’m going to close comments on this post.

Cheers!